Friday, August 16, 2013

Finally got the tissue removed.

"And then there was none..."
(waiting for my bronch)

        So on Tuesday, the 13th, we went in to get my bronch to remove the tissue blocking an airway in my lung.  Well, the doctor came into the waiting area and told us that he felt it was too dangerous (because in the bronch on Thursday it bled a little) to do the bronch in the regular operating room.  He felt if it did start to bleed when they were removing the tissue they wouldn't have the proper equipment to stop it.  :/  Scary.  So he wanted me to be in the O.R. when they removed the tissue... I agreed.  Better safe than sorry!
        However, that meant we had to wait another day to get the bronch done in the O.R.  So we were told to arrive at 6:30 a.m. on Wednesday.  So we did.  Around 7:30 a.m. a doctor came out and told us that Dr. Wait (the doctor who was going to do my procedure) was taking longer than expected in the double lung transplant surgery he was performing... and so we were going to be pushed back into the afternoon.  First, I completely understood and wanted him to take all the time he needed on the transplant.  Second, keep in mind that I hadn't eaten all the day the before (except for dinner after they told us we had to wait another day) and then again hadn't eaten since midnight ... and I was getting hungry by this point. ;)
        So we had to wait on Dr. Wait... see what I just did there?  Hehe ;)  (I know I'm a dork.)  Anyway, even though it was kind of frustrating, both Joe and I totally understood and didn't mind him taking his time.  Kept his patient in our prayers, as well... which he said ended up good.  So thank God!
        And so we waited...  A little before two o'clock the doctor came in and talked with us and told us it'd be about another hour.  I believe it was a quarter to three when they finally rolled me into the O.R.  They used IV anesthesia and also the gas mask thing... and, of course, I fell asleep...
        On a side note.  Something I realized... Right before I fall asleep when being put to sleep for an operation, my hearing sense gets MUCH more distinct.  Every single sound in the room gets really distinct and really loud... and then I pass out.  It's so freakin weird!  But neat too ;)
        Anyway, Joe said the operation only took about 30 minutes.  They were able to use the laser, by the way.  Then the doctor came out and told him all went well, there was no bleeding, and they removed the tissue.  He actually showed him a picture of the airway after the tissue had been removed.  And he showed him a picture of the tissue compared to his finger tip... Joe said it was actually very very small (about the size of his fingertip or smaller!).  How such a small thing could cause so much trouble is so strange!  The doctor said it just puts into perspective how small our airways actually are.  True.  Also, he said there's a small chance it could grow back, so we have to keep an eye on that.  I reallly hope it doesn't.
        So then they told us I didn't have to stay overnight at the hospital and could go back to the hotel.  So we did.  They gave me a little bit to eat, which I shouldn't have done... because for the rest of the night I felt very nauseous and miserable.  And I had a headache (which they said was normal)... but I think it was from the gas anesthesia stuff they gave me.  Because I've never had a headache after an operation until this time (and this was the first time that I remember them using that for a bronch).
        Then on Thursday morning I felt better and we started the long drive back home.  So, basically, we spent about a week in Dallas (starting from last Wednesday when we drove there and stayed until Friday morning... came home for Saturday and Sunday... then headed back Monday for our Tuesday appointment which ended up being a Wednesday appointment... and us leaving on Thursday).  That was a lot of driving.
        I feel okay now... had a rough day today.  I'm still a little sore.  It took a while for my headache to go completely away.  But I'm sure in a few days I'll be back to normal with this behind me!
        It was a long week.  We're so glad it's over... and we're home again.... and today (the 16th) was my Joe's birthday... and the Chiefs played well... and the Royals won their games... and we had hot wings for dinner with his family... and tomorrow we're going to the carnival... and it makes me smile :)
        Regardless of the ups and downs... life is good.  Smile.

Much love,
~Julie Jean

p.s. Happy birthday to my dearest Joe!!! Xoxo :)

No comments:

Post a Comment