Saturday, March 23, 2013

"The Call"

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou art with me..."
-a post and a poem-

(me and my love post transplant... we did it!)

     So much has happened these past few weeks, but we'll describe those "adventures" later.  The biggest thing happened this last week. The night of Sunday, March 17th (St. Patrick's Day), we got "the call" that lungs were available for me.  The morning of Monday, March 18th, my husband and I said our "Goodbye" and "See you soon," - that was such an emotional moment.  Then I was rolled into the surgery room and received the life changing double lung transplant.  Tuesday, March 19th, I woke up and was instantly asking for my husband.  Now, it is Saturday, March 23rd, and I'm on the long road to healing.
   I'm still in a lot of pain, so I'm going to keep this post short.  Here is a poem I wrote pre-transplant lost in the fears of putting my life into another's hands. 

-dear surgeon-
take your scalpel, cut me deep
Hello,
how are you?
It’s so nice to meet you.
Here’s my life; take it, hold it, in your hands
Here’s my trust - I hope you, please, understand
With just a “hi, hello,”
You - I hardly know
Carry me; watch me fall fast asleep
Into your hands - my life, my future you keep
I am afraid.
I’ll close my eyes; and let it be
I’ll close my eyes, so I can’t see;
counting back from ten...
Let the unconscious take me over
and let the remedy - and numbness pull me under
As you steady your hands - and rescue me.
Hello, 
how are you?
It's so nice to meet you.
--

    I am forever grateful to all the doctors and surgeons involved in this process.  I am thankful to my parents, my family, and friends.  I am so in love with my husband (my best friend)... I couldn't have made it through any of this without him.  He is my rock.  And I know in my heart my brother Rafe was and is with me - it helps so much.  Thank you for all your prayers and support.  The Lord has brought us thus far; though recovery will be a struggle, we fear no evil.  From our hearts to yours...

Much love,
         ~Julie Jean

3 comments:

  1. It is so good to see your beautiful face free of oxygen and a mask!!!!!! I have been thinking about you all week and praying for you SO much, girlie. I am so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so inspiring to me, Julie! You have been through so much and you keep on going and fighting and living and loving. So wonderful to see you on the other side of this ordeal! {{{HUGS}}}

    ReplyDelete